Week Three, getting settled?

Our first "home-cooked" meal in our Recife apartment

The start of the third week was a bit rough. Still tired and bit fuzzy, I think. Finances are complex - renters pay the property tax, for instance, and they might get a notice taped to the door or handed to the portero.
We went back to the airport in an Uber with Elder Price and his folders full of documents and copies to the Federal Police to get registered. There is a card we have to have but it take something like 180 days to come. They took fingerprints (not very well) and we have to go through all the paperwork again for renewal in a year and again to be able to leave. I helped Sister Bell organize all the stuff to send tomorrow for zone conference which meant hauling boxes of books and repacking, it is very hot and sticky when you have to go up and down the stairs.
Sweet Sister Chambers shared some yummy broccoli soup.
Sister Houseman got us new mattresses in hopes I will be able to sleep.
the Kitchen (in case you didn't guess)

Tuesday - yes! I did get some sleep. Nestle oats are more familiar texture though the box has about enough for two days.  We washed our produce with bleach and salt water and gave up on waiting for the rain to quit and headed out. Note to selves: The left side of the street really floods in rain. My cushy foam insoles were sponges.
After more gathering and packing, Sis. Bell took me along to zone conf. in the "other building" which was quite a sightseeing tour of a taxi ride. She really knows her way around! I had no clue where we were or where we were going. She gave some shots, we set out all their materials and mail, then returned. It was extra busy time for us because they added some laminated cards and labels to the to-do lists and we make all those. I ate a Larabar I had packed and Durk went with Bro. Bell to lunch at a "self-serve" but he says it wasn't the kind of rice and beans he prefers - or remembers?.

Wednesday
Gathering and packing up to be ready to send for tomorrow's last round of zone conference, and today's was here so we also got lunch. Durk and Bro. Bell picked up KFC for 65 people at the big mall some ways away. I got them to get me mashed potatoes which were pretty good. Being quite worn out, the Bells and Sister Chambers led us down to the Chinese place across the street to take-out. Bells have eaten yakisoba there several times so we got that. They couldn't get a handle on me not wanting meat -- all their choices have an option to get no veg. Finally we convinced them (since the "regular" has chicken) to make it without chicken. Which turned out they put in some beef.
Anyway, it tasted pretty good and I gave Durk the meat and ate some noodles, not really a lot. I was up all night very ill indeed and stayed home Thursday. Durk had no problems so he ate his leftovers for lunch Friday and then had his turn being unwell. No Chinese place down the street for us ever again.

Friday I did OK, not feeling really well but helped with letters and such. At the end of the day we walked to the little Walmart and just got what looked good, which included chips and sandwich stuff. I had tried downloading a TV show but didn't get it to work, it took another day and another try from the cloud. Netflix is blocked at church buildings so I can't download from that. We will be glad to get internet someday......
One day someone came in selling really pretty tiles of the Recife temple, they knew we were suckers....first souvenir.
Saturday I relaxed and read a library book through my Libby app until time to shop with Sis.'s Bell and Chambers. We went to Atacado and it was crazy! Three floors with aisles full to the ceiling, crammed with people and even checking out took about an hour - long lines plus they open and check everything to make sure it works. So I didn't realize the lamps had no bulbs and the clock no batteries. They have ramps to go up and down with your cart. I did actually talk to the taxi driver and he understood a little, started showing me things like "mikiss"which is McD's. I was pleased that I bought a pretty tablecloth, it made our place feel much homier, also some sheets with a bit of color.
We have LOTS of plain white wall space.....
Sorry not many photos yet of outdoors, if my phone had come with us like I thought.........I could buy a camera for maybe $150.
Finally started sleeping, hooray! And a funny note, they painted the elevator doors and wrote "door painted" in ballpoint pen on a sheet of paper and just stuck it to the tacky paint. Since they were painting when we got home one night we had to take the stairs - round and round very dark to fourth floor - they have motion lights that only come on after a certain time no matter how dark.

Letters (and postcards) can be sent to
Elder and Sister Merrell
Missão Brasil Recife
Rua João Fernandes Vieira, 80
Soledade, Recife - Pernambuco 
50050-215 BRAZIL

Packages are iffy, customs charges are inconsistent and can be very high. If anyone wants the shipping address let me know, padded envelopes not too fat seem to get by.

I will try to get more photos of all the sights!

Comments

Post a Comment